Saturday, June 8, 2013

A Writer's Cats

Many writers I know live with cats. They almost seem like a necessary writer's accessory, like a tendency to suffer from depression, being an introvert, and a thesaurus*.

These are the ways my cats help me write:

.
.
.


Hmm. Can't think of anything. You know how cats are aloof? Yeah. right. The second I sit down to write, a cat sits in front of my monitor. Or, now that I work on a lap top, they climb in my lap or sprawl across the keyboard.

Cats - this is not helping!

After I wrote my first novel, I printed it and planned to give it to friends to read. The cats peed on it.

I guess that was their review of my work. And looking back, I think they were right, but still...

Now I know why the rest of my writer friends have dogs instead. A dog would never pee on your manuscript. They'd cock their head and think, "who's a good girl?"




*Stephen King claims that any word you have to look up in a thesaurus is the wrong word. While most of his writing advice is amazing, I take issue with that. The English language has far more words than most languages, and each has a slightly different meaning. Sometimes I know there's a word that better conveys the meaning I want but can't think of it.

** Speaking of reference books, if you write science fiction with alien life forms, I suggest reading Dr. Tatiana's Sex Advice For All Creation. There's almost nothing you can imagine from mating rituals to gender variations that doesn't exist here on earth. Plus, it's funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment